Fans had a blast at the Virtual Crunchyroll Expo when Adult Swim and Crunchyroll gave them a preview of Alcon Entertainment’s highly anticipated animated series, Blade Runner: Black Lotus. Fans saw some new key art and the series’ exciting opening title streak that sets the mood for what we expect to see when the show wraps up later this year. The anime follows a young woman who tries to get revenge on those who wronged her while uncovering the mysteries of her past.
During the panel, âThe Making of Blade Runner: Black LotusSarah Victor, Head of Development for Crunchyroll, spoke to directors Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama about their process of creating the series and how it fits into the legendary Blade runner universe. Aramaki and Kamiyama also spoke at length about the themes of this new series and how they worked hard to create a human story that focused primarily on replicants.
During the unveiling of the new key art, the directors discussed their character design process and the stylistic balance they found between animation and photorealism. They also shared that their international production and creative staff helped them capture an atmosphere more akin to a Hollywood production and allowed them to create more diverse characters, much like you would see in Los Angeles now.
Finally, the directors presented the opening sequence of Blade Runner: Black Lotus, which features the original song “Feel You Now” by Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Alessia Cara.
Check it out!
The English and Japanese voice cast includes:
- Jessica Henwick / Arisa Shida – She, a female replicator created for a secret and unknown purpose.
- Will Yun Lee / Shinshu Fuji – Joseph, a mysterious character who owns a parts junkyard in Los Angeles.
- Samira Wiley / Takako Honda – Alani Davis, a new LAPD recruit.
- Brian Cox / Takaya Hashi – Niander Wallace Sr, Founder and CEO of Wallace Corporation.
- Wes Bentley / Takehito Koyasu – Niander Wallace Jr, a brilliant scientist working for his father.
- Josh Duhamel / Taiten Kusunoki – Marlowe, a deadly Blade Runner.
- Peyton List / Yoshiko Sakakibara – Josephine Grant, the wife of the Chief of Police.
- Stephen Root / Hochu Otsuka – Earl Grant, LAPD Police Chief.
- Barkhad Abdi / Takayuki Kinba – Doc Badger, a black market dealer.
- Gregg Henry / Masane Tsukayama – Senator Bannister, a politician with strong feelings about replicating production.
- Henry Czerny / Akio Nojima – Doctor M, a brilliant doctor and professor of medicine.
- Jason Spisak / Kazuki Yao – Hooper, a reporter in the pocket of the Wallace Corporation.
Blade Runner: Black Lotus will be featured later this year on Crunchyroll and Adult Swim. The series is produced by Alcon Entertainment and animation studio Sola Digital Arts, with Shinichiro Watanabe as the creative producer. Crunchyroll will broadcast the series in Japanese with subtitles to its global audience of over 120 million registered users and over 5 million subscribers while Adult Swim will broadcast the English version on Toonami, the programming block of popular anime of the network.
Source: Warner Media