Illustrated horse and Young Rider magazines have much to be proud of in 2021 after the American Horse Publications (AHP) Equine Media Awards were presented at the AHP Back in the Saddle 2021 conference in Irving, Texas on September 18, 2021. The AHP Equine Media Awards are the leading awards in the equine media industry. This was the first in-person AHP conference since the start of the pandemic, but it was a repeat of last year for both publications, as they once again won awards in editorial and photographic, and the greatest prize for Illustrated horse received an honorable mention in the self-funded publication of general excellence (circulation of 15,000 copies and more). Illustrated horse won the highest honor in this category in 2019.
âIt takes a lot of work with our fantastic freelancers to put each issue together, and being recognized by the AHP awards is truly a worthwhile honor,â said editor Holly Caccamise. âReceiving the second prize for overall excellence, especially after winning this category in 2019, tells us that we are on the right track to delivering a high quality product to our subscribers. “
The judges shared the following comments on Illustrated horse entry in the General Excellence category: âHorse Illustrated is a magazine that includes all breeds of horses and all disciplines of equestrianismâ¦ The introductory covers are illuminated through beautifully lit images of the sun. The powerful masthead and colorful groups of cover lines add excitement. Inside, the magazine’s design has a refreshing cohesive feel; it’s the stylized typography in the headlines, along with the black and brown color scheme and skillful use of white space that creates this great experience. The photos that complement the stories are narrative and well positioned. “
Illustrated horse won the following awards among the entries submitted by the publication:
- Honorable mention in the self-funded publication of general excellence (circulation of 15,000 and over) for the January 2020 and June 2020 issues of Illustrated horse (out of 10 entries)
- 2sd place in editorial action photography for “Horses From Above” by Shelley Paulson (out of 7 entries)
- 3rd place in the self-funded publication function Single article for “Shining a Light” by Amy Hempe in the October 2020 issue (out of 34 entries)
- 3rd place in the single teaching article for “Clicks and Flicks” by Daniel Johnson in the June 2020 issue (out of 16 issues)
Independent contributors received the following honors for their work published in Illustrated horse and Young Rider:
- 2nd place in independent journalism article on horses for “Becoming a Trainer” by Jennifer Bryant in the Summer 2020 issue of Young Rider magazine (out of 6 entries)
- 2sd place in independent editorial action photography for âHorses From Aboveâ by Shelley Paulson (on 6 entries)
- Honorable mention in a self-funded publication Unique article on horse care for “The Retiree’s Workout Regimen” by Kara Stewart in the October 2020 issue of Illustrated horse (out of 24 entries)
- Honorable Mention in Self-Funded Horse Care Publication Single Article for “Scratch That” by Allison Rehnborg in the September 2020 issue of Illustrated horse (out of 24 entries)
The 2021 Equine Media Awards competition for material released in 2020 included a total of 643 entries in 56 classes by 98 members, 33 Publishing Media members, 19 Professional Media members and 14 Business members. Full results are available online in the awards program (PDF format) and the video of the winning entries on www.americanhorsepubs.org/ahp-awards-contest.
For a full list of prizes won by Illustrated horse and Young Rider over the years, visit www.horseillustrated.com/horse-illustrated-awards.